It is really important to brush properly with braces. If brushing is not done correctly, white spots, or decalcification, can start to form on the teeth.
What are white spots?
- Permanent “decalcification.” It is the start of a cavity, which causes discoloration and damage to the surface of your teeth.
What causes white spots?
- Lack of proper brushing
- Frequently eating or drinking sugary foods and drinks that are sugary
How can I prevent further damage?
- Increase attention to brushing
- Focus around the gum line and the brackets
- Brush more frequently
- Brush after each meal
- Don't eat or drink after brushing before going to bed
- Use the Christmas tree toothbrush to clean in between your brackets every time you brush
- Floss on a regular basis
- Decrease snack in between meals and eliminate sugary drinks. (Ex. sports drinks, soda, and juices)
- Brush with a high fluoride toothpaste, and don't rinse after brushing at night
- See your dentist every six months