May 7th, 2020
Due to the coronavirus, we are required to modify how we treat our patients.
Before a patient can be seen in the clinic, the patient or a parent of a patient under 18 years old will need to have reviewed the questions below. Due to the mandate of the State of Utah, we will be unable to see patients without this information being reviewed.
With community transmission of communicable diseases, you could be exposed anywhere to infectious diseases including, but not limited to Covid-19 (also called Coronavirus). Our orthodontic office is following the State and Federal regulations and recommended universal personal protection and disinfection protocols to limit transmission of communicable diseases. However, it is possible that these precautions will not always be successful in blocking the transmission of these diseases. Social distancing nationwide has reduced the transmission of Covid-19, however it is not possible to provide orthodontic treatment with social distancing between the patient, orthodontist, orthodontic staff and sometimes, other patients.
By presenting yourself or your child for orthodontic treatment, you assume and accept the risk that you or your child may inadvertently be exposed to a communicable disease.
If you have been exposed to a communicable disease prior to your orthodontic appointment, you may spread the disease to the orthodontist, orthodontic staff and to other patients/parents in the practice. Therefore, prior to each appointment, we require you to answer the following questions:
- Has the patient or others that will accompany the patient to the appointment been tested positive for or been diagnosed as having COVID-19?
- Does the patient, or anyone accompanying the patient have currently or have had within the last 14 days: A Fever? A Cough? Shortness of Breath and/or Trouble Breathing? Persistent pain, pressure or tightness in the chest? Recent loss of smell or taste? Chills, muscle pain, sore throat?
Thank you for your continued trust in our practice. As with the transmission of any communicable disease like a cold or the flu, you may be exposed to COVID-19, also known as “Coronavirus,” at any time or in any place. Be assured that we have always and will continue to follow state and federal regulations and recommended universal personal protection and disinfection protocols to limit transmission of all diseases in our office.
Despite our careful attention to sterilization, disinfection, and use of personal barriers, there is still a chance that you could be exposed to an illness in our office, just as you might be at your gym, grocery store, or favorite restaurant. “Social Distancing” nationwide has reduced the transmission of the Coronavirus. Although we have taken measures to provide social distancing in our practice, due to the nature of the procedures we provide, it is not possible to maintain social distancing between the patient, orthodontist, orthodontic staff and sometimes other patients at all times.
In order to be seen in the clinic, please copy the following and paste it into a text to 844-428-5344 with the patient's name.
I and/or my child do not (at this time nor in the last 14 days) have COVID-19 symptoms; we have not been out of the county. We have been practicing social distancing. Although exposure is unlikely, I accept the risk and consent to treatment for myself or my minor child.
What to expect at your appointment:
- Please brush your teeth prior to coming to your appointment, since the brushing station will be closed.
- The waiting room will be closed. Please check-in virtually by texting 844-428-5344 when you arrive in the parking lot with the patient’s name. We will communicate with you via text when we are ready for you to come upstairs to the clinic for your appointment.
- If the patient is currently in treatment, please check closely for any loose or broken appliances, and call and let us know the day before your appointment so that we can schedule appropriately. Due to our social distancing requirements, we will be unable to fix anything that has not been communicated with us prior to the appointment.
- Due to the state’s mandate, unless parents deem it necessary, parents are encouraged to either wait in a vehicle, or come back to pick up a patient when we are finished. We do want to communicate with parents about their child’s treatment. Please communicate with our office via text (844-428-5344) when you check in if you would like to video call or simply have a phone call with Dr. Erickson during your child’s appointment. We will be using Google Duo to video call. Please download it from the App Store or Play Store.
- If parents choose to join a patient in the clinic, they will need to bring a mask with them. Per the state’s mandate, non-patients will not be permitted in the clinic without a mask, and we need to conserve masks for our team.
- We will be taking a temperature on each person that comes to our clinic.
- Each person will be asked to disinfect their hands with hand sanitizer.
- Due to the additional protective gear we will be wearing, the clinic may be colder than usual. Please dress accordingly.
- We will be scheduling the next appointment while the patient is at the chair.
What are we doing to minimize risk to you and to our team?
- We are adhering to the most recent CDC recommendations, including wearing masks, gloves, lab coats or jackets, and face shields.
- Our team will be changing into clean scrub coats before seeing each patient.
- We are rigorously disinfecting surfaces between patients, and sterilizing equipment and instruments before they are used.
- We are practicing social distancing-our chairs are set up differently than in the past so that we have significant spacing (well over 6 feet) between our patients.
- We will be modifying how we perform procedures to minimize risk to our patients and our team
- We are installing air purification devices in the clinic.
- We are taking temperatures regularly on everyone on our team, and on everyone that enters the clinic.
- We will be screening each person that comes to the office to make sure they are healthy.
- Please call us to reschedule your appointment if the patient or anyone the patient has been exposed to in the last 14 days has:
- Experienced COVID-19 symptoms, including cough, fever, chest tightness, shortness of breath, or trouble breathing
- Been outside of the county
We look forward to seeing you! Please feel free to call with any questions or concerns. We appreciate the trust you place in us, and look forward to continuing to help create your confident smile.
Dr. Jeff Erickson and the Team at Orthodontic Specialists